Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sparky's Journey - Unemployment Parties and Breaking the News to mama P

Everything I'd built up in my head about breaking the news to Mama P had not materialized when it finally happened this evening. There was not much surprise or shock in her reaction . I assumed finances would be her biggest concern but was surprised to see that even when I tried to pre-empt her worry by assuring her we would be financially okay for awhile, she wholeheartedly agreed.  After we talked briefly about finding a job in Winnipeg where my brother lives and of course, the mandatory conversation about believing in God and going to church, our conversation was over in less than 10 minutes and she went back to doing her normal activities as if nothing had happened. I wondered if her underwhelming response was just an act so as not to worry me but I can see now that it was no act, judging by the fact she had no problem falling asleep this evening. She really isn't worried. I suppose that's the upside of believing God has a plan for everyone. I had prepared for a tete-a-tete over the last two days, rehearsing the answers to the stressful questions I thought she would ask. What are we going to do for money? When are you going to find a job? Are you finally going to clean your room? I had over dramatized everything in my head so that when it didn't materialize, instead of being grateful I was slightly disappointed. 

So I guess it was a good end to a good day that started with my manicure. An awkward but humourous situation arose when one of the spa workers asked G and I if we were getting manis and pedis done for a special occasion.  We both laughed and said definitively YES, it was a special occasion - both of us getting laid off at the same time. It would have been awkward had G and I not wholeheartedly laughed to put the spa workers at ease.  It is quite a special occasion. Afterall, how many times in your life will you experience a joint lay off?

Later that day I went to my second Unemployment party, yesterday's DIY pizza party being the first. It's definitely an interesting reason to have a get together and can potentially create some akward moments but this one was with close friends from outside work so it was very comforting. Interestingly enough two of the friends at the party were current LFS employees and three were former employees including G and I. So I guess I wasn't entirely screwed by LFS. Damnit it's hard to stay mad at the stupid company that brought all these wonderful people into my life.

And that brings me to my next and final thought of the day. Even in the short time since I got laid off, my emotions have been up and down. I spent much of today trying to hold back tears for the coworkers I've lost that I consider my friends. My fear is not that I won't find another job but that I won't find another job with so many special people.  Despite the grim reaper and his cast, it was still a special place with many memorable people. It seems an impossible task to find another job like this and what makes me so special that I should be so lucky to have the same work experience the next time around? My only solace is that my friendships with these coworkers are strong enough to weather the separation...I hope.

1 comment:

  1. Did you forget about that Chinese guy again? Or did you not count him on account of being an ANM employee?

    ReplyDelete