Friday, November 23, 2012

Sparky's Journey - There's No Place like Trade

I spent the whole day doing laundry and making calls to all my debtors to see what my remaining balances were - still doing homework for next week's debt counselling meeting. I found it interesting when listing my monthly budget that there was a line item for 'bingo/lottery/gambling'. I lied and put 0 even though I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. I don't think a few lotto tickets here and there are going to make a difference. I tried to make a SunLife claim but had no idea how to do so. It's very surprising that over the last 13 years, I have never put in a claim. I wasted all my benefits. I needed to call a live agent, get my client ID and register online so I could put in my claim. And suddenly my 'work day' was over. I was misled into believing that a lady of leisure was meant to lay around and eat bon bons all day. That's what you led me to believe when you were on mat leave with L and, having just discovered Facebook, played Scramble and Texas Holdem until all hours of the night.  Such has not been the case for me yet, although I did get up at 11 so I guess my day is not that busy. I just have to accomplish everything in fewer waking hours.

Tonight was my final Trade Marketing 'meeting'. We went to Insadong and had Korean bbq and a few bottles of soju. Lemon soju kicks ass.  I'm going to have to stock up on some. It's scary how easily the drink goes down. Could be the start of another very bad habit.  CH ended up treating all of us. So generous. G-dawg II told me to close my eyes and he put some gifts in my hands - The Pumpkin that has sit on the ledge between our two cubicles since Shane left years ago, the stuffed Owl I brought CH from a fundraising event, the SDL squeezey yellow man with the lanyard wrapped around his neck that C would dangle off her cubicle wall when she felt she was hung out to dry by the MLT and a piece of bubble wrap. Most of the bubbles were popped already but there were two bubbles left for me to pop. G-dawg II knows how much I love bubble pop. They were really sweet, albeit used, gifts. I tried to protest taking the pumpkin but G-dawg II would not hear of it. I had to give G-dawg II the stuffed owl. I couldn't look at the beady eyes and sharp beak. He carressed/stroked it a little too aggressively on the ride home. Hope the owl will be okay in his possession. It was such a fun evening. We were definitely a tight team with a special bond. I was and am truly lucky.

Tomorrow signifies the largest and probably the last of the group goodbyes - Dim Sum at H.V. - our favorite dim sum place near the office. I hear there are more than 20 people coming. I know we suspected that they invited us so we could order for them since we always do the ordering but I'm only too happy to do it one more time knowing that it will be the last time we get to order for them.  There have been so many 'lasts' over the past week. I'm never sure how I'm going to react at one of these goodbye events. I haven't lost it yet. Hopefully this big group doesn't overwhelm me and make me lose it in public because I know if I do, you will too. As long as you and MDZ keep it together, I will be okay. I hear MDZ cried when she heard the news. Oh MDZ.

Is it wrong that I'm afraid I won't be able to get up for tomorrow's 11:30am dim sum? I really need a job where I can work graveyard shift.  It's a scary thought but I really think it's when I'm most alert and productive.  I need to find a society of night owls to play with but not real owls, you know.

I'm wondering if we're supposed to write cards or bring tokens of our appreciation? I didn't do anything. We never got around to making those dirty cookies did we? Oh well, ordering the food will be our gift to everyone I guess. The dirty cookies will have to be saved for another occasion, Looking forward to it. See you manana my work wife.

1 comment:

  1. Aiya. Just reading your comment about MDZ made me cry again. I don't how that woman does it. One thought of MDZ crying for us makes me all weepy. Maybe because that woman doesn't have one bad bone in her body.

    ReplyDelete