Monday, November 26, 2012

G Dawg - Retail therapy

They say retail therapy can help you feel better - if that's the case then since the lay-off I should be feeling G-REAT!  However, there is a sense of slight panic although it's a bit irrational.  Everything spent lately have been items we've been looking for, and I am still getting paid but I can't help feeling a bit guilty with the purchases and wondering if this will lead to homelessness or dumpster diving.  I guess a large part of it was the car purchase!

Friday night we went for dinner with my mom and her neighbours.  Their family has 2 sons, one of which is in L's class.  At dinner, L asked the older boy if he behaved at school.  Then L explained that he was asking because his younger brother always gets in trouble in his class.  Right now he can get away with it because he is so tall and I think a lot of his classmates look up to him because of his size.  Once he gets a bit older, he will probably start to get pounded for ratting out his classmates.  The 2 boys are a bit rounder.  In typical Asian parent fashion, Dad mentioned how the boys will probably end up as sumo wrestlers.  Seriously I don't know how there aren't more Asian kids with eating disorders what with their relatives commenting on sizes of people without thinking it's rude. 

On Saturday after hockey practice for L, I took the boys to ramen on Hastings.  While we were in there, the radio mentioned that they were on location at Norburn Lighting, and that there was a no HST sale for today.  We have been looking for a dining room light for awhile now, and just the other day we had looked through a flyer for that store and saw a chandelier we both liked before that was now on sale.  So impulsively I took the boys there, which is not a good idea by the way.  Boys running around wrestling each other in a lighting store is not a good idea.  I saw a few lights I liked, but decided to just go with the one we had talked about and purchased it on the spot.  Just like that, in 5 min, I was $400 poorer, with a chandelier in the back seat.  It's actually a decent price, and no HST.  That's one thing I was surprised at when we first started looking - chandeliers are not cheap!  Now let's just see how long it takes us to put this thing up!  I'll post up our old 1970's chandelier for free and see if anyone will take it off our hands as opposed to just throwing it out in the garbage.

Saturday night we dropped some more coin at our favorite restaurant, Le Crocodile.  Thanks again for sitting the boys - we really appreciated it.  We went with the 2 couples we normally go with, although I didn't know until 10 min before we left the house that the 2nd couple was coming too. With feeling a bit down, I would have preferred to just break the news to the first couple first, but it ended up as a very enjoyable evening.  It did take a drink however to get into the spirit of it.  And then by the time the foie gras brulee came to the table, I got onto the swing of things.  The 2 ladies are great but are outside my league in terms of tastes.  One girl loves bargain clothing like me, and we were both gushing about our blouse deals, both under $25.  However she has a gazillion expensive handbags, and I'm not talking about Coach.  The other lady is a stay at home mom, but her husband is very good with investments and she also has expensive taste.  She turns her nose up at cheap and cheerful clothing, which I just don't understand.  I don't think anyone needs to spend $75 on a t shirt.  Anyway, both are always so immaculate that I feel a bit slovenly next to them.  Their houses are beautiful, and always so neat too.  Oh well, at least my kids are likely not to develop any allergies since they are exposed to dust,mites,and whatever else lives in pillows.

Today was a bit of a lazy day.  We took the kids out for a bit and then the only thing I needed to do was get a birthday present for my mom.  I decided to go to Queensborough Landing to take advantage of the Banana Republic Factory store. I am not sure why I have never been there!  It's close and it was a great deal today.  Everything was an additional 40% off so I ended up with 3 shirts and a pair of earrings for myself for $36!  OK, sure clothes for myself were not supposed to be on the list, especially since I can't even justify that it's for work.  I also picked up a couple dress shirts for LP that were a great deal..oh yeah, and of course some things for my mom.  They are a bit random: a cute blazer, jersey wrap dress and a sweater but again, they were great deals so hopefully she likes them and they fit.  But I am sure in true Asian fashion, I will be critiqued for something that may be wrong with what I've selected.  "Ah, you shouldn't spend so much money!  Do you think I can wear this colour?  Ah, this dress shows my bulges!"  Let's see what happens tomorrow when I drop off her gift.  We were supposed to have dinner tonight but she forgot she had birthday plans with her friends.  Hopefully we can re-schedule.  I didn't want to suggest tomorrow night since I want to Zumba tomorrow.

And that was my weekend in a nut shell.  (No, this is me in a nut shell.  <<while miming me inside a nut shell>>)

Oh, and I watched the back half of some extreme couponing show - these ladies bought $670 worth of goods and ended up paying just over $40.  This is what we should be doing.  Who doesn't need 34 bottles of 2L pop or 90 boxes of Pringles, or a gazillion cans of pineapple?  The only thing I saw that was useful in that cart was all the paper towels.  Otherwise, you should not be buying all that other crap.  And it took them about 8 hours in the grocery store!!  That's crazy business.

It felt strange not to see you today, but tomorrow darling?

No comments:

Post a Comment