Sunday, November 18, 2012

Saying goodbye

I've stumbled onto a slight issue with this blog- we may end up with 2 identical posts since we are living one life right now.  A scarier thought though is when we don't have the same posts...because that will mean we will likely be employed by two different employers.  Which means I'll be all by my lonesome.
One thing I have come to take for granted over all these years is how nice it has been to see your 'family' everyday.  You know everyone (well except for the revolving door of food things, otherwise know as Customer Service reps), pick up your girls for the morning coffee, share dumb stories with your cubicle mates, and look forward to lunch with your friends, because that's what they are as opposed to colleagues.  These colleagues over the years have morphed into your circle of good friends and you know that because you spend time outside of working hours with them.  Somehow in the last 10 years, colleagues and friends have turned into the one and the same.  10 years of a shared history, laughs, and stories.  So while the working relationships have now been severed, I know the friendships will not.
This however leads itself into one of my biggest fears- how will I ever find a place with such great people that I have been lucky to work with over the years? Surely this can't exist elsewhere.
What I am most resentful of in the date with the Grim Reaper and his cohorts, is that I could not say goodbye to my family. Instead we were ushered out like we had done something wrong, unable to even gather our own belongings for fear we would contaminate the office.  This is what 23 years of combined service and sacrifice are worth, not even the simple dignity of saying goodbye.  


No comments:

Post a Comment