Dim Sum was a success. I didn't even have to order. Nor did we have to pay. It was nice, albeit sad, seeing everyone yesterday, especially knowing I probably won't see a lot of them ever again. Facebook will have to be how I keep connected to some. It's how the cool kids communicate these days anyways.
Today I finally sucked back my dread and unpacked all those daunting boxes and bags I brought home from the office last week. Why did I bring so much junk home? Was I trying to hoard my memories? As I started to throw one thing after another away, it reminded me that materials things don't equal memories. Throwing old stuff out was very carthartic. I felt good that I was de-cluttering my house and thus my life. So why does my room still look like a bomb went off in here? I guess the best analogy I can come up with is sometimes life has to get messy before it can get cleaned up. Or maybe I'm just a dirty pig. My Dad always said my room was like a garbage dump. I miss you Daddy. You'd know exactly what to do to comfort me, even when you didn't have words anymore.
I used the day not only to sift through my work stuff but also to clean out drawers and other boxes I still haven't unpacked after my move almost 5 years ago. I came across so many old unfinished craft projects. It got me thinking about all the possible ways I could re-invent myself. Here's what I came up with
1) jewelry: I have enough crystals and jewelry making supplies to start a Swarovski gift shop
2) Knitted scarves and hats and crochet doilies: Anyone need anything made of unknown fibers? I have enough yarn and needles of every size to last a life time.
3) Card maker
4) Slide show maker
5) Photos on coasters and canvasses
6) Etched candle holders
7) Needle point
Until now I completely forgot how much I used to love crafts. If I can't make a living out of these old craft materials, I can certainly make free Christmas and birthday gifts. They'll come in handy, especially this year. Maybe my work wife will also need a project to keep her hands busy.
On tomorrow's to do list:
1) Virtual church - gonna try the live stream sermon again. Love the fact that I can play online games and hang out in my pjs while listening to the sermon.
2) Part II of cleaning my garbage dump of a room
3) Clean car
4) Meeting with the original member of the Dole Club, C
5) Pick up M and R from Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal
6) Perfect the GangNam Style - I owe it to my fellow Koreans. Besides, what else do I have to do?
Feeling a little more normal today than I have been in the past week. I'm already starting to forget the horrible events of last Thursday, despite being slammed with another financial set back a couple of days ago. I'm not really comfortable talking about this but I think it's important for the blog to reflect true experiences and emotions even if i fear judgement. And when I get back on my feet, assuming I haven't acquired free room and board in the slammer for these financial 'oversights', I can look back at this as just another humorous stumble in the life of Sparky. So here's the quick and dirty. Without notice, my wages have been garnished for an unresolved debt I have with RBC. A settlement between the Supreme Court of BC and RBC was made without my knowledge and my pay cheque is now more than 1/3 less than it normally is. I'm hoping it's not too late to get my debt counsellor to reverse the garnishment, lower the remaining balance and have the remaining monthly payments reduced. I was so bummed out when I found out what happened to my pay cheque but in true SH fashion, I have quickly started to forget this pain. I have a very short memory for things like this. It's what's kept me from taking anti-depressents for so long but sadly it's also what keeps getting me into trouble. I must have inherited my bad money management skills from my Dad. Obviously it's not from Mama Park. She is amazingly resourceful with her money but I don't want to live my life drying out paper towels and re-using them. I'm sure there's a happy medium between the two. Life is always a fine balance and I'm badly in need of that balance right now.
Even though life is throwing me all sorts of curve balls these days, I know it's not for nothing. I'm learning lessons everyday. That's all I can ask. This situation has made me wonder how the heck people survive these situations without the support of friends and family. I guess that's why there are so many homeless people. My friends and family are my saving grace. It also makes me think about the phrase, 'money can't buy you happiness.' As much as I hate to admit it because I've always believed in that mantra, I have to admit it's a bit of a bullshit statement. Food, shelter, clothing, transportation and entertainment are all things that make me happy and you can't buy those with coconut shells. This year will be the true test of whether or not money can or can't buy me happiness although I think I already know the answer to this one. I need to win the lottery..and fast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2012
(23)
-
▼
November
(18)
- Sparky's Journey - The Dole Club goes Glam
- Sparky's J - There is a God and Miracles Do Exist!
- Spending money while not spending money
- G Dawg - Retail therapy
- Sparky's Journey - Feeling Somewhat Normal Today.
- Sparky's Journey - There's No Place like Trade
- G Dawg gets the circle jerk (runaround)
- Sparky's Journey - Closing the Door Behind Me
- G Dawg's day of driving
- Spark's Journey - Flip Flop Emotions
- Sparky's Journey - How did I end up here?
- Dance it out
- At the beginning
- Sparky's Journey - What Day is it Anyways?
- Sparky's Journey - Unemployment Parties and Breaki...
- Saying goodbye
- Sparky's Journey - Still the End
- Sparky's Journey - The End Before the Beginning
-
▼
November
(18)
Don't start increasing your bingo/lottery line item...
ReplyDeleteOh SP, I admire your courage in talking about the money woes. I know you don't think so, but what you're doing is courageous and takes strength to deal with this. It's way easier to stick your head in the sand than tackle this up front.
I love you - you can do this and you know I'm here with whatever you need