Saturday, December 8, 2012

Sparky - Spring Cleaning in December

I've been on a cleaning frenzy for the last two days. Normally cleaning is foreign to me. I've always been bad at it but even more so since Mama Park (aka my cleaning lady) moved in a few years ago. So I'm not sure why these sudden urges to clean and organize. Yesterday I cleaned out the kitchen cupboards. Today I cleaned out the coat/shoe closet, re-organized all my gift bags, gift wrap and plastic bags and afterwards I cleaned out the freezer. So I'm not sure why my room is still such a dump. I've come to the conclusion it's very hard to keep my room clean because I have too much stuff in my small room. It doesn't help that everyday this week I've been shopping and buying Christmas gifts so now it looks like a department store after a crazy midnight madness sale. Tomorrow I may tackle the laundry/linen closet. I guess this is the kind of stuff you occupy yourself with when you have no work, hence the reason why Mama Park cleans so frequently. My life is starting to mimic that of a retiree. Or maybe I should stop drinking coffee at night, a habit I've formed since I have no reason to sleep early and nothing to get up for in the morning except lunch.

Today was the Dole Club's first transborder meeting aka road trip to the States. The purpose was to buy food for our catering gig and do some christmas shopping. As per our usual M.O., we disappeared into the abyss known as Kohls, lingered for too long and emerged much poorer than when we entered. Then we hit the Old Country Buffet. It's no Le Croc but you can't go wrong for $7.49. After that, Target for some more gifts and food items I did not need. Next, we hit Costco for dairy and meat and finally, our beloved Trader Joe's, a co-op store with an impressive array of specialty foods for a really good price. We picked up some cheeses and other party essentials, along with quite a few non-essential items that tempted us as we perused the enticing aisles. I don't know what it is about Trader Joe's but I find it so fascinating. All the items are so intriguing you just want to throw everything in your grocery cart. For all that perusing, I actually only spent $5 on myself. Perhaps it's because I was having buyer's remorse after dropping $280 at the previous stores before we hit Trader Joe's. But then I consoled myself by telling myself I'm almost done my Christmas shopping for the year and I'm using free money because I'm getting that $300 visa card for switching my internet and cable to Telus. So all in all, a very successful first attempt at a transborder meeting for the Dole Club except when the U.S. border guard gave us a hard time about being unemployed, asking us if we should be looking for a job instead of shopping. Asshole. I shouldn't have said I was unemployed. Unfortunately it started a spiral and like dominos falling on top of each other, one by one we had to admit we were unemployed. We should have just said we belong to a Dole Club and so what of it. Next time, we just say we're employed at LifeScan. End of story...unless we get the same miserable border guard again.

Tomorrow I'm on the hunt for duck breast and those elusive ingredients to make gluten free pasta. With the high cost of duck and the difficulty finding a supplier, I'm beginning to think it was a bad choice to offer for the F&L Gift Exchange dinner.  Oh well, too late to turn back now. We've already taken everyone's orders. It'll be an interesting trip to China town tomorrow. I haven't shopped at China town in years. I better google the Chinese word for duck lest my adventure becomes more humorous fodder for tomorrow's blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment